Sunday, May 9

Leaving Barcelona and returning home...

Last 6 hours in Barcelona! - I caught the bus back I think and when I got home all my roomies were there and they were already pretty much packed up. Everyone was putting the last minute touches on everything. I told Alex when I got back that I wasn’t planning on going to sleep even though I was really tired, I told her that it would probably take me the next 4 hours to pack. She told me I was crazy but stayed up with me anyways! I was about right and by the time that I finished packing I hopped in the shower and when I got out I had 15 minutes until we had to leave to catch the bus! I didn’t even have time to blow dry my hair! I hurried, got ready and then we headed out the door. I don’t even feel like I really had time to say bye to our place! Alex and I took the bus and Sam and Steph took a cab, they probably left an hour after us but when we finally arrived at the terminal, they were just getting dropped off too! Our bus ride took probably an hour and was very crowded, our luggage together took up like 3 seats! It was terrible trying to control all of our bags, especially since we were so tired and Alex was practically falling asleep every chance she got, we decided that next time, we’ll just take a cab! After arriving at the airport and meeting up again we said our last goodbyes to each other, see ya on the other side, (of the pond that is!) Hopefully! It was sad and bittersweet but I had to hurry through security after that because I was cutting it close once again! I made my flight just fine and before I knew it I was back in Amsterdamn. I had a 1 or 2 hour layover so I did some last minute airport souvenir shopping and headed to my terminal, I got asked a bunch of questions and then had to go through security AGAIN! Ugh, I had a glass jar of tomaca in my suitcase that I had completely forgotten about and I couldn’t even believe that they found that! They were going to make me throw it away but I got pissed off so they just checked that bag for me too which was nice because I already had so much crap so it was really a relief! Boarded the plane and I actually got some sleep on my flight back, I was just so exhausted that flying at that point didn’t even bother me anymore! Before I knew it, I was back in Detroit and then I started getting anxious to get back to Pittsburgh, first thing I did was grab a sweet tea at Mickey D’s! MMMM, I had no American money so I had to use my credit card for a dollar! Haha. An hour later I was in Pittsburgh and I was excited to see that my family was there to pick me up, Chelsea even made me a sign! It was very loving! I was sad that I wasn’t in Europe anymore but I was also excited to be home for the holidays!!
Overall the four months that I spent in Europe were crazy, expensive, an everyday adventure, fun, hectic, all worthwhile and I wouldn’t change them for anything. Yes it had it’s up’s and down’s, but who’s life doesn’t? Barcelona will always have a special place in my heart because I lived there for four months, I learned so many new things about myself, my surroundings, and other people there, I grew. Even though I’ll be paying back this debt for sometime, it was worth it and each time I mail a payment to Wells Fargo, I’m going to reflect about how precious each minute I spent there was. I can’t wait to go back!
Home will always be home no matter where I am and there’s nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.

No comments: