Friday, July 18

What annie has seen today!!

Soo, i know i said I was going to post and everything, but this week has been soo hectic and FLOWN by and i didn't get time. However, we just arrived at Alexander Beach Resort and have some free time so i figured why not?

Last Sunday we ended up going to the Mama Mia movie...it was excellent..it wasn't out in America yet when we went to see it. So if it's out there now, you should go see it. A group of nine of us went, we took taxis which only cost like 2 Euro and then i got popcorn and a slushie. It was great, the movie was so good and I'm going to buy it when it comes out on DVD. After the movie, we walked back along the port, people were out selling stuff so i bought a few things. When we got back to the hotel, I crashed because I was so tired.

Monday we had class and then after class we went to the Archeological Museum of Thessaloniki and then to the Byzantine Culture Museum. I thought the first one was more interesting and our tour guide Anastasia made it fun for us. I finished my book that I have been reading and it was great. I also worked on assignments this night.

Tuesday was a great day. We didn't have to get up extremely early and instead got to wake up at like 8:30 and we went to the Tsantali Winery. It was really cool. I've never been to a winery before and getting to see how much of a process goes into making wine is really cool. They make ouzo there as well. The grapes come from different regions all over Greece. Most from Mt. Athos, Mt. Olympus, Chalkadiki, and Halkdiki, which is where I am right now. They also had grapes growing there. The lady giving the tour was having a hard time putting together her English but she let us do a wine tasting afterwards. The white was really good and the red was too bitter. I bought some wine and then we went back to the hotel and had class at 2:00 in the afternoon. I had to give a presentation on a Greek god this day. I got an A! After class my group and I headed out to find a restaurant. We all have to get into groups and find a restaurant for our final night dinner for when we return to Thessaloniki before we go back to Athens. We found a cute little place ate there and wrote about it. 
Wednesday we had early morning classes and the sales in Thessaloniki started this day. I was anxious to get to the shops. In both classes we reviewed for finals that we were going to be having the next day. After class and lunch we all walked to this fabulous bakery!  They had the best baklava...probably the best i've had in Greece so far. I also had chocolate baklava. It didn't really taste like chocolate though. After the bakery I work on my last paper that I had to write. I didn't get it finished but decided to go out to eat with my friends. We decided that we needed some American food and we ate at TGIFridays! It was great! THIS place was where I had my first FROZEN drink in this country! I was sooo excited. I got a frozen pina colada and then later decided to have another! They were fabulous! I was so happy!! Everyone else was really happy too. Leave it to the Americans to make the frozen drinks!!  After dinner we went back and studied for an hour or two and I finished writing my paper. We all gathered in 307 at 10 for desperate housewives. They're on season two here, but it was great re-watching them. We had fun and then we all passed out. 

Thursday, yesterday we had our finals. I think I did fairly well on each of them. I'm not sure what my grades were though. After finals I immediately hit the shopping area to hit up all the sales. I got some great deals!! Ah, it was exciting. I got the cutest pair of new stilettos. i also got a dress and then this weird european looking outfit. I bought a lot of souvenirs for people this day. After my day of shopping I went back to the hotel to start packing up  my stuff because I have accumulated a lot since being here! I had to break out the second duffle bag to get all my stuff packed. I'm not sure how i'm going to get all of this back to the states and after this mornings trip here, I really think i'm going to need to buy a larger suitcase. I had to much stuff to carry!! After packing a few of us went out to grab a bite to eat. I had a greek salad...again. lol After dinner we all met up, pretty much everyone on the trip and we all went down the the port for a booze cruise! More or less a party boat! haha it was sooo much fun and it was so pretty. You had to buy a drink to get on the boat, but they took you around the port and it was great. We took lots of pictures! After we got off the booze cruise we headed down to our favorite bar. The one we always seem to end up at. Our favorite bartenders were there and it was really great to have the majority of the group out. It's always a lot more fun! People  headed back slowly and I came back around like 4. We had so much fun but we were sad that it was our last night in Thessaloniki.

We're getting ready to go to orientation soon and then we'll be learning what we're going to be doing here this week . Working obviously but what kind? lol I'm just excited because I get a free t-shirt!! :) I will say though, this has been the trip of a lifetime and I am having so much fun. I can't believe its the last week of my study abroad trip already! It has flown by and personally,  I wouldn't mind not coming back. I could stay here forever. Now, after my study abroad thing is over, I have not decided yet what I am going to be doing. My friend Stella that is here sent me a message yesterday to get ahold of her so I will probably call her later on tonight so we can figure out what we're going to be doing and such. If something doesn't work out with her, my friend Heather boo boo as we call her, is leaving the same day I am, and is going to santorini for a few days. So, I'm not sure what i'll be doing but it will definitely be an adventure!! :) I've pretty much already decided that i'll be back to Greece as soon as humanly possible! 

Alright well I must get ready for orientation and lunch...i'll post more later!! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like the last week has been TONS of fun, especially the shopping. Your Mom showed me the clothes and shoes you bought...girl you will be stylin'!! Good luck with the job this week, hope you enjoy the employee's buffet aka - leftovers.

Anonymous said...

We seem to keep missing each other for phone calls so I was glad to see your post. Live it up girl, its real life back here in the states. Saw your pics, the third set, awesome. Maybe you want to build a winery in the holler?

Julie LaChance / Julie Sugarplum said...

I see Mom's still trying someone to live on the hill. Should I start looking for a trailer? LOL! Anyway, sounds like you're going to come back all grown up and fabulous. We have chick fil a breakfasts, lunches and dinners planned for your return!

Anonymous said...

Hey!. . . you can't have frozen drinks in Greece! . . . there's no drinking frozen drinks in Greece . . . and TGI Fridays, ah come on Annie! . . . that's just not right :-)
Seriously, it's good to eat something you're used to, and somewhere you're familiar with to get a break, isn't it?
I'm sure you did well on your finals Annie . . . you're an intelligent young lady.
It's great that you're having such a nice time in Greece that you want to come back, and now since you're a "world traveler", you'll be "off" to more places too.