Tuesday, September 22

Different school, real homework

Yesterday was the first actual day of classes. We started at 11am. We got our schedules and these cool binder things, they are really classy. I was excited! I finally found out about Friday classes and turns out, I don´t have them!! YAY! So, this means that I am more freely able to travel on the weekends. We have a total of 4 classes, 3 small classes and one big class that consists of 4 separate classes taught by different instructors. We have on average about 2 to 3 classes each day. So, it´s not bad. They only bad part is that we start classes at like 1030 in the morning, have like a 3 hour break, and then have to go to class from like 3 to 5pm. That sucks, so basically, I´m going to spend my life here during the week. (I´m sure you can see the excitment on my face right now.) lol

Normally on the first day of classes you don´t usually have to learn anything of importance, the professor usually just goes over the syllabus and classes expectations along with an outline of what you´ll be doing during the semester. NOT HERE!!! NO NO!! Here you call the professors by their FIRST NAMES!! I was like, ¨What?¨ That is so weird. Usually at the big campus of JWU Charlotte professors that have a doctorate MUST be called Dr. Young and if you call them Professor Young, she just won´t even answer you!! SO hah! Here they are much more laid back, no syllabus, no written anything, no text books, no outlines. I guess really what´s going on is here in Europe, college isn´t a freaking money making scheme and they actually care about you learning something instead of trying to get all the money they can out of you. HUH?? There´s an idea America! It´s kinda nice that someone isn´t trying to rip me off this semester. lol
I mean, if you really think about it all colleges want from you is money. They could care less whether or not you are succesful by any means. They want money before you start, tons of money while your there (along with other hidden fees and expenses), they want you to buy $200 textbooks that you can only sell back for a mere $25 at the end of the semester, they want you to pay for your cap and gown, and THEN even after you graduate they send you a little envelope in the mail every month asking you to donate money to your beloved alma mater. BELOVED MY ASS!! Johnson and Wales isn´t getting one more dime from me!! lol

So, we actually had to stay the entire time in class and learn on the first day which was a downer but oh well. After school Alex and I got a McFlurry at Mcdonalds and then visited the tourist booth to get information on this weekend´s up and coming La Merce Festival. It is in Spanish of course but we can manage at this point. lol We went to the CarrerFour which is the grocery store here to get stuff to pack in lunches. Needless to say my vegetarian/organic diet isn´t going well with the food they have here. The choices are slim and most choices include meat. BLAH! So I got some type of sliced something or other that resembles pepperoni but doesn´t really taste like it. lol I bought some Gouda chesse and mustard that is similar to French´s but isn´t tangy. Their mustard here is more like honey mustard. It´s sweet. I got some plums and some popcorn and some juice boxes. BY THE WAY!! I´m sure everyone knows how they sell boxed wine right? Well here in Spain they sell individual boxed wine sorta like juice boxes except wine!! HAHA! You can get red or white, whichever you prefer! To take in your lunch!! OMG! I was laughing so hard! So after I stood in the longest lines I have ever seen at a grocery store (longer than walmart) I went home and went out shopping. I browsed in a couple of different places but didn´t buy anything and it was about to rain so I went home. We stayed up having girl talk till 2 in the morning and finally passed out.

8:30 came early this morning even though we didn´t have to be here till 10:30! Relying on public transport is pretty unreliable! lol And especially for a foreign country, you just never know what your going to get! We got to school very early today and our first class was spanish. So, we all go in, keep in mind that I am in this class with people from Norway, Germany, Russia, and Finland who speak english but their english isn´t impecable. The teacher, whom we met, taught the entire class in Spanish! She also gave us homework on the first day, lots of it! Thank goodness that I knew some beginner spanish or I would have been completely lost!! It was a lot of fun though and I think that I´m going to learn a lot from her teaching this way. I´ve already learned a lot since I´ve been here! After our first class we began our 3 hour break, we ate our sandwhiches and snacks, I was reading this 80 tips for your stay in spain brochure they gave us because I forgot my LSAT book, and then I went to the library. While I was in the library, some young girl about my age came up to me and was trying to tell me that I could not look at facebook while I was in here. So of course I ask the obvious question, ¿PORQUE?, why? lol I don´t think she liked this and she said something that I could not understand and then she left. So, now I´m writing in my blog. I mean, I can understand if there were lots of people on computers or waiting to use them but seriously? I´m in a room with like 30 empty computers. lol WHATEVER!! My next class is Tourism & Culture in Catalunya in 15 mins!!


Sorry for anything that wasn´t spelled correctly! There isn´t any word correction on these computers and they have some pretty weird keyboards....

2 comments:

mom said...

Instructions to leave comments: click on the word 'comments' at the end this blog day, Type your comments in the box, click the Name/URL radio button, type in a name, click "Publish Your Comment". Annie, lots of people are reading your blog, but 'some' are having trouble leaving their comments. Maybe this will help. Love you. Tell us more about Barcelona.

Unknown said...

Hey - just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying living my life vicariouly through you. Please keep up the great blog. And keep have such a wonderful time.