Monday, September 14

The Magic Fountains

Yesterday was a pretty good day. I slept in because it was sunday. Nothing is open here on sundays so there isn't a whole lot to do. I got ready and decided to go to the beach for the day. I took the metro down and it was pretty when I left but when I was coming out of the metro on the other side it was definitely sprinkling outside!! I didn't want to go back because it took me like 30 mins. to get down there! So I went to the beach anyways, got a chair, which I had to pay 5 Euro for. Annoying. There are these men from Africa that make these designs in the sand next to the sidewalk. It's a little crazy I posted a picture of some dogs that they did on facebook and yesterday when I was down there he was doing a cruise ship! You should have seen this thing, it was complete with portholes, a little white railing that looked like it was made out of toothpicks, and pools on each end that looked like he used two blue plastic bags!! It was like a mini model it was pretty cool. Anyways they do these designs and put out their hat and wait for people to give them money. Like, seriously? Get a real job! haha Some of them do look pretty cool though. So the beach cleared up for a while and there were quiet a few people there I was surprised. It started getting really dark and cloudy but it wasn't raining. I stayed for about 2 hours total and then decided that I was ready to go. I walked back and located the post office. Yay! After I got back I took a shower and got ready to video chat with Austin. We only talked for an hour though because football was on!! gezz!! lol Skype is my new best friend because it's free!!!

After all of this I went out to get something to eat and order something called a Falafel. I'm not sure what it was but it was absolutely the worst thing I have ever tasted! Ugh! It was like fried little balls of who knows what!! I'm not sure if it was meat or what but it tasted like straight garlic and honey mustard dressing and other things. Anyways it was not good and I was not excited that I paid 4 euro for it and could only eat the pita bread on the outside. lol So, I came home and stuff it with some spinach, goat cheese, and mushrooms and dipped it in olive oil. The lesson learned here: Falafel is bad, I didn't really know I was ordering it, and next time I'm having lamb. lol

And after that excitement I decided that I was going to go see the Font Magica otherwise known as the magic fountain. We took the metro to Plaza de Espanya and while we were waiting for the train I noticed some people beside us bouncing around so I looked down and saw that a roach was headed straight for us! I said watch out and stephanie perked up on her tip toes and when she came back down she smashed it! It was like perfect timing. Then while I was looking at the roach I noticed something else moving in a hole and it was a baby mouse!! He was so freaking cute!! He kept peering in and out of this hole munching on some bread. I took a couple of pictures and people were looking at my like "this crazy american." lol I posted the picture on my facebook for everyone to see! I'm telling you, we have encountered the wildlife here! lol Our landlord brought by some roach spray yesterday and I've already seen 3 dead bodies so it must be working! So anyways, back the magic fountain show, It is this huge fountain that dances to music and lights. It has been compared to the Bellagio fountains in Las Vegas. Now that i've seen both I can say that each are unique in their own way and I wouldn't really say one is better than the other. The fountains here were beautiful! They danced to a Spanish opera type song i think and the lights were fabulous. It was one of the biggest fountains I have ever seen. There were tons of people there and we sat like right under the fountain. It was a little misty! I took lots of pictures and I also took a video. After the show was over we left and came back to the apartment. We were up till about 2 talking about random things and then I went to bed.

This morning I got up early at around 8:30 and went to the market. I had a natural fruit juice. It was a mix of orange, pina, and mango. It was pretty good but it was very pulpy so I couldn't finish it. They had so many different flavors and next time I'm going to try the kiwi and pineapple one. They all looked delicious. Since I was there so early not all the stands were open. This is one of the biggest markets I have ever seen. There are like special sections for everything. I bought about a dozen farm eggs for 1 Euro...pretty good deal! I also bought some raspberries and another small mixture of fruit. It was kiwi, pineapple, honey dew, watermelon, and some other weird fruit that has a tough outside the color of red onion and a soft center that looks like kiwi except it is white instead of green. I'm not sure what this was but it did NOT taste good. It was kinda gross. So after the market I came back to get ready to go to the beach but it started raining. So instead, I took a nap! I've decided that I need to take it easy today and tomorrow because school starts on Wednesday!! Ah!!

3 comments:

Sondra said...

You sure are finding your way around your apartment, such a savvy lady! I hope school adds some excitement for you and they tell you about even more cool places to go.

I can't wait to see the pictures of the mouse...not so much the roach.

Thanks for the constant posts, I am just now catching up but will try to stay more on top of them.

Take care and enjoy every moment of these next 3 months!

Julius said...

Annie, sounds like you're really having a ball... you don't know how proud I am of you.

You're getting to see so much of the world, and still in college... pretty cool!

I hope you're picking up on your spanish... and don't stop trying different things to eat. You wont like everything, but at least you would have tried it... You're actually getting to eat the food of a country while IN that country... that's awesome!

Chelsea said...

Haha yeah the kids here at Brown are obsessed with falafel, we even have falafel nights in some our cafeterias. Gross! Haha and if even you can't eat it..then I know I'm not just being picky haha. Glad you're having fun.