Saturday, September 12

This has been a drab week....

Yesterday afternoon/early evening we ventured down to the waterfront and found the beach. I suggested that we take the metro but instead we walked and then everyone’s feet were hurting by the time we were there. I stuck my feet in the water, it was cold but the sun felt great and it was absolutely packed. The beach was just full of people, not many in the water though. They have little bars that serve fruity drinks and you better believe that I’m ready to have a FROZEN, yes that’s right, a FROZEN pina colado tomorrow!! We left the beach and tried to find our way to the metro, we finally did. The trains were packed and I felt like my roommates had never used a metro in their lives, they seemed a little lost. We had to take two different trains and between the connections we probably walked like 3 miles!! It was insane. We stopped to get something to eat. I had a mushroom risotto that was really small and it costs me like 12 Euro. It was pricy for rice with 3 mushrooms. Lol After dinner I came back and pretty much relaxed until I fell asleep. My roommates went out and got back around 2 in the morning.


Today started out early around 9 a.m., I got up and ran out to the store quickly for some breakfast and some juice. I came back and hopped in the shower to get ready. By the time I was ready the roommates were back from coffee and wanted to go to the store. We walked down Las Ramblas to the La Boquirea, which is Barcelona’s central market! It was pretty amazing. It is supposed to be one of the best seafood markets in the world. I think it’s #2 in the world. Anyways they other things besides seafood, they had tons of fuits, nuts, olives, meats, vegetables, and bars serving tapas and booze. This place had to be the size of the state of Rhode Island. Each of the individual stands, like the olive stands for example, has like 22 different barrels just full of olives. There are so many varieties and choices. I didn’t buy anything at the market and the meat kinda grossed me out. So then we went to the store to do some grocery shopping. I’m in the process of becoming a vegetarian so my roommates seemed to be annoyed by my picky eating habits. We needed some stuff for the apartment like toilet paper, laundry soap, etc. I ended up paying for these things and they said they would get them next time. I had a hard time finding stuff that I liked or that I thought was edible and affordable. It wasn’t like the Greek grocery stores that actually had stuff that I liked. So, therefore, it was a little frustrating but at the check out I was ecstatic to find out that they take credit and debit cards!! Places like that are always nice to find.

After the store we came back put everything away and then went our separate ways. I needed some space too so I went out exploring and shopping! I found some fabulous shops and I have decided on a few items that I am going to buy while I am here. Item #1 will be a pair of stylish boots. Everyone has a pair here and they are very in style so I’m assuming they will be in the USA in shortly. And yes Chelsea, they are sort of like the ones that I showed you in target! Item #2 will be a nice jacket, I love unique and classy jackets, I saw a couple today that were very cute. Item #3 will be a handbag, something classy and convenient. These are the top 3 but I’m sure there will be many more. So after shopping I came back to the flat and Sam cooked for everyone and made pasta. As for the rest of the night, I’m not sure but I am very tired.


Nothing to extreme has happened to me yet on this trip, I’m sort of having a drab week I feel like so my blog isn’t really that exciting yet. I wouldn’t call it homesick but I just don’t really have anyone around me to do stuff with yet. I hate to say it, but I’m kinda ready for school to start so I can perk up and meet some people. Usually I’m the social butterfly but this week has not been the case. It’s set in stone that I am definitely going to the beach tomorrow and spending most of the day there, I bought a towel today, I need to relax in the sun and get some reading done. I finished To Kill a Mockingbird last night, it was a very good book. It was on the recommended reading list for Law school so I indulged. I doubt I will be able to find any of the other books here that were on the list. Everything is in Spanish!! I wish I would have brought more books with me to read because I’m going to have a lot of free time from what it seems BUT, then again I’ll be studying that LSAT prep book like it’s the bible probably!


That's all i've got in me for today....someone leave me a comment or something!!!

4 comments:

Aunt Jo said...

Hey Annie, I will send you some books. Just got back from the game - WVU beat East Carolina! When school starts, you will meet some new people. Enjoy and relax while you can!

Mom said...

That market sounds pretty fabulous. Did you take pictures? When school starts, ask if they have any english books in their library. And just because you haven't had a crisis, doesn't mean it is boring.. . you are a world traveller and you are just handling it! You could learn spanish??? Pick up a newspaper or magazine and immerse yourself in the language. Everything is still the same in the holler. Love you.

Chelsea said...

sounds like a good time. go somewhere touristy and try to meet other Americans that are staying in Barcelona for a while so you can get away from your roommates.

Julie Stevens said...

Yes, I'm the slacker sister. Finally making her appearance. :) Sounds like you're having some great experiences. Get to class and meet some people. It will pick up soon!